Making progression in every way; that is one of the goals that Eva Carregosa wants to achieve. Being a youth international could be a sign that she’s doing great, and maybe we will she her playing in the highest national team of Portugal! Photo: FIBA Europe
1. Let’s introduce yourself, who are you?
“I am Eva Carregosa, 20 years old and I have played basketball since I was four years old. My father is a basketball coach, and he brought me to a game. Since the first moment I never quit. Right now I am playing on the highest league of Portugal.”
2. Did your father play on a high level?
“No he just played in our city. He decided to be a coach after that.”
3. What kind of player are you?
“I am a player that wants to improve every part of the way I play basketball. My wish is to improve myself to be a complete player as possible, but also to be a smart player.”
4. Is there someone who inspires you?
“Sure, I love to see Kyrie Irving playing! He has quick hands, and it seems like the ball is part of him. He knows how to handle so many situations! I also like to watch games of Gabby Williams of the Seattle Storm either. Last year she played in Sopron, a really strong basketball team from Hungary.”
5. Last season in Olivais you had an average of 14 points per game and 6 rebounds. How were you able to improve your style of playing basketball?
“We had to improve ourselves as a team. What the most important thing is, is that we had to keep growing and work hard. I think it is important to keep the ball in possession, and that is what I always want to do. Wherever the ball goes, it is mine!”
6. Right now you are playing at Sportiva, averaging 11 points per game. What are your expectations of this season?
“Sportiva is a different club compared with Olivais. The position of the guard will be a little bit different than I was used to in Olivais. It is an opportunity for me to improve my game, but in a different way. They ended up on the second place last year, so I hope we will do better.”
7. You were also an international of the under 20 team of Portugal last month. How would you describe last summer’s tournament?
“We were supposed to play in the B division, but now that Russia wasn’t able to play, we went to the A division. Sometimes we underestimate our skills of basketball a little bit, but it was good to see how we got better and better during the tournament.”
8. You started pretty good during the tournament. I think Portugal did pretty good last summer right?
“Yeah, I think the teams above us are really strong. We have to work harder and more as a team, and maybe next time we will make bigger steps upwards!”