Portugal would play in division B during the Fiba Women’s under 20 European Championship, but played in division A after all. With a sixth spot, they did a pretty good job. Maria Gonçalves played with Portugal as well, and she knows what it is to be a great shooter! Photo: FIBA Europe
1. Let’s introduce yourself, who are you?
“I am Maria Gonçalves, 19 years old and I play basketball as a guard / forward at GDESSA Barreiro.”
2. How and at what age did you start playing basketball?
“I started when I was around seven years old. Since I started I already loved it, more than all of the other sports. I don’t imagine playing some other sports since then.”
3. What kind of player are you?
“One of my strong abilities is my threepoint shot. I think I am quite a shooter, and able to help my teammates in defense as well. I am always looking for the easiest option to obtain a basket.”
4. Is there someone who inspires you?
“I always love to watch the Euroleague and the WNBA, but I also like to learn from players who are playing in our league. I really look up to Marcia Costa, my current teammate.”
5. Last year you ended with GDESSA Barreiro on the fourth spot. How is it for you to play on the highest league of Portugal at young age?
“I think I play at the highest league for three years. Last year was the first year at Barreiro, and it took quite some time to get used to everything, but my teammates were really nice and helped me a lot.”
6. Last month you competed at the FIBA Europe under 20 European Championship. How was it to play at such tournament every sometime of covid?
“It was an amazing experience! This was my first time playing in division A. It was very nice, but hard as well. We were playing against really strong teams, a different situation than we were used to. I learned a lot!”
7. You ended on the sixth spot with Portugal right?
“Yes, we reached an amazing spot in division A. It was amazing!”
8. What are your expectations for this season?
“I expect that this would be a hard season. We will keep on working, fighting for every possession and see what we can accomplish and also what I will accomplish.”